|Click here to listen to Art's recent interview with Gary Puckett on Flypod.com
Click here to listen to Art Schlichter interviw on 710 ESPN radio in Los Angeles.
Click here to listen to Art Schlichter interviw on Lunch with Munch
BUSTED: The Rise and Fall of Art Schlichter
Art Schlichter once had it all.
The most-heralded high school quarterback Ohio
had ever seen, he evolved into an All-American
and Heisman Trophy candidate. By the time he was
finished as a Buckeye, Woody Hayes called him the
best to ever play for Ohio State.
He had fame, fortune, and matinee idol looks that made women swoon, but beneath his confident exterior, Schlichter's insecurities surfaced in a constant drive to gamble.
By the time he reached his mid-30's, he had gambled away more than $1.5 million, his All-American image, his family, his self-respect, and his freedom.
In BUSTED: The Rise and
Fall of Art Schlichter, he reveals every detail of:
With every page of this 22-chapter tell-all book, Schlichter takes the reader on a riveting roller coaster ride, from the unparalleled highs of being the Big Ten's Most Valuable Player and playing for a national championship in the Rose Bowl to the unbelievable lows of fighting to survive prison's solitary confinement.
- His father's desire to mold him into an idolized athlete who would win championships and make millions;
- How Michigan's Bo Schembechler arranged a clandestine meeting to recruit him;
- Living with the fateful interception that led to Woody Hayes' resignation;
- The highs and lows of his Ohio State career, his frustration with Earle Bruce's conservative offense, and how he once unleashed a tirade at the Buckeyes' head coach and twice considered transferring;
- The causes behind his complete failure as an NFL quarterback;
- How he gambled to numb the self-inflicted pain until he contemplated suicide:
- How he gambled away $120,000 in two days.
BUSTED is the candid, sometimes shocking, sometimes funny, yet appalling story of how a severe gambling addiction controlled the life of one of Ohio's greatest athletes.
Art Schlichter, an All-American quarterback who led Ohio State to two Big Ten championships and a Rose Bowl appearance, was a first-round pick of the Baltimore Colts in 1982. He has two daughters, Taylor and Madison. Schlichter, who currently manages gamblingpreventionawareness.org and resides in Washington Court House, Ohio, is a much sought-after speaker on the dangers of gambling addiction.
7 X 10